2011-2013 Andrew W. Mellon
185 East Sixth Street
Claremont, CA 91711
Ph.D. in Urban Planning from the University of California, Los Angeles
M.A. in Ethnic Studies from the University of California, San Diego
B.A. in History & Women’s Studies from Claremont McKenna College
Areas of Expertise
- Community Economic Development
- Race & Migration Studies
- Geographic information systems
Courses Taught at Pomona College
EA 102: Community Mapping
This course is an introduction to Community Mapping, using Geographic Information Systems software (ArcGIS). Each year we will select a community partner relevant to the themes being studied (immigration, housing, urban issues and problems, environmental inequality, labor).
2013 Client: Food Chain Workers Alliance and Restaurant Opportunities Center of Los Angeles Advanced Mapping Food Inequality Project with Karen Castro-Ayala, Nicole Chan, Kate Kryder, Mariah Tso, and Ally Nkwocha.
2012 Client: Koreatown Immigrant Workers Alliance and Student
Project: Mapping Los Angeles Communities.
2011 Client: Center for Community Action and Environmental Justice and Student Project: Mapping Environmental Justice in the Inland Empire.
EA 100: Urban Planning & the Environment
An overview of planning issues that affect low-income communities and communities of color, focusing on how differences impact the construction and geographies of cities.
- Kim, Anna Joo. “Labor Market Migrations: Immigrant Intersections in the Informal Economy.” AAPI NEXUS: Journal of Policy, Practice, and Community. Spring, 2012. Vol. 10, No. 1, 75-99.
- Takahashi, Lois; Kim, Anna J; Sablan-Santos, Lola et al. “HIV Testing Behavior among Pacific Islanders in Southern California: Importance of Ethnicity, Knowledge, and Domestic Violence.” Aids Education and Prevention. February 2011. Vol 23, No.1, 55-65.
- Takahashi, Lois; Kim, Anna J; Sablan-Santos, Lola et al. “Hepatitis B Among Pacific Islanders in Southern California: How is Health Information Associated with Screening and Vaccination?” Journal of Community Health. June 2010. Vol. 36, No. 1, 47-55.
- Kim, Anna Joo.“L.A.’s Koreatown: Ethnicity, Entrepreneurship, and Entertainment” in Korean American Economy and Community in the 21st Century. ed. Eui Young Yu, Kye Young Park. Korean American Economic Development Center. September 2009. p. 367-390.